Pages

Saturday 16 June 2012

TATOOING

Of course we all have different likes and dislikes and it seems we either love or loathe the art of tattooing your body.

It wasn't long ago that people were paying big dollars to get their tatoo removed by laser, as they realised that in a moment of madness they had a permanent marking that they now wanted to be rid of.

Now, it seems to be the 'in thing' to have tattoos adorning all parts of the body and what was predominantly a male regime is now just as popular with females.

It is also more predomenant in certain sports, Rugby League players and some AFL display full arms of tattoos, not quite as prevelant in tennis and cricket, although the captain of the Australian team is now displaying a few. I watched the Ironman series on the weekend and admired the beautiful, fit, tanned bodies of these athletes and only one displayed tattoos. How refreshing to see such healthy bodies with glowing clear skin!

Also, does it affect you securing a job - would you,, as an employer, choose a person covered in tattoos over a clean skin, especially when you are in an occupation dealing with the public. And to what lengths does a person go in covering their tatts in order to secure a job, only to display them after obtaining the position.

This all brings me to the recent story of bad boy, turned good, Mark Wahlberg, who having turned 40 years and happily married with 4 children is having his tattoos removed to show his children the downside of tattooing and to hopefully deter them from making the same mistake.

How many other parents will decide in later life that they need to set a good example to their children and have their tatts removed, or will they encourage them to do as they have done!

I, personally have a distaste for tattoos, but that is my opinion - tell me yours!!

2 comments:

  1. I have a mixed opinion about tattoos...

    People do stupid things all the time and unfortunately for them their moment of stupidity wasn't doing a nudie run, it was getting a tattoo. For example the young German girl who had 56 stars tattooed on her face... complete stupidity. And then there is the other group of people who get drunk, and instead of going home, they find a tattooist open at 1.00am and get their girlfriend of 5 minutes or an anchor on their arm. These are tattoos that make you cringe and think the whole 'art' of tattooing is a joke.

    And then you have another group of people who love getting tattooed. What started out as one modest sized tattoo is now a monstrosity that is covering their in tire body and trying to take over their face. They cover their backs, have full sleeves and then move onto their neck. And when they run out of room, they get 2 four letter words tattooed across their knuckles just so they can show the world how awesome they are. These people make you wonder they bother because it just looks like a mess.

    Then there is the tramp stamp. Girls who get a tattoo or something off the wall of a tattoo shop on their lower back so that when they bend over and show the crack of their buttocks to the world they can also show some 'artwork' which is usually a frangipani and always tacky.

    But then you see some people with a tattoo that actually looks good. Not something on their face, not one that someone thought was a good idea on a night out, and not a tramp stamp. I am talking about a tattoo that someone has actually put a lot of thought into the design, the colour, the size and where to have it and haven't ruined it by adding a million others. A well thought out tattoo done by someone who actually has an ideas about art is worth it. And I mean it. They are expensive, painful and there for life.

    I have 2 tattoos. I got one when I was 18, the other when I was 22. For the second one, I spent around 12 months deciding on the right tattoo and was my own design so I won't see anyone else walking around with the same thing. I spent about 3 months deciding on the right place to have it on my body and the person to do it. I spent 5 hours in the tattoo parlour in excruciating pain while a guy named Fabz carefully inked me up.

    If you saw me on the street or at work, you would never think I have a tattoo. Not many people I work with know I have a tattoo, and those who do do not care. I am in a good position in my job and it has not held me back. If I was not able to cover it, I would not have my job at all. My family are not thrilled about the idea, but turn a blind eye as long as I don't flash it around.

    Tattoos interest me. If someone has one I want to know what it is and why they got it. There must be a story behind it if they had to have it tattooed on them for life right? They are painful and expensive, but addictive.

    Personally I love them... good ones that it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, especially about tatts in the work force and I agree discretion in placement of the tattoo is a an important decision.

    ReplyDelete

I would love your feedback on this topic!